Followers

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

No really


Kids teach you a lot about yourself. For example, lately Seth has helped me to realize that I often answer excited babbling with an absent, "Oh, really?" He helped me to realize this because, of course, he doesn't know what "Oh, really?" means. (Duh, Mommy.) So whenever I answer him that way, lately he's taken to saying, "No really." He then repeats whatever he said before, with more pointed emphasis. Here are a couple of examples from this afternoon.

"T'ain possing."

"Oh, really?"

"No really. T'ain possing!"

At this point I actually looked at what he was trying to show me. After a few more questions, I eliminated possible meanings and figured out that one of his trains was pushing the other one.

"Tee! Aaaugh!"

"Oh, really?"

"No really. Tee! Aaaugh!"

Once again, he really is trying to say something, and it must be duly acknowledged. After more Twenty Questions, I figured out that he had built a tree out of a cloth balanced on a container. He was pushing the "tree" over, causing the "Aaaugh!"

So it's not earthshaking stuff. At least it's fun to have a window into his little mind.

No comments: